Friday, April 27, 2012

Day 11- Mark 5:21-43

Mark 5:21-43 "Jesus raises a dead girl and heals a sick woman"

So Jesus crossed the lake in the night and then crosses back the next day. Jairus, a leader in the local synagogue is desperately searching for him. He was just there the day before. His daughter is sick to the point of death. He must have been willing to risk everything because that is what he was doing. As a leader in the synagogue he risked his position and reputation. The religious did not like Jesus. He questioned their time honored beliefs and did not follow their rules. But Jairus is desperate and he believes. He begs Jesus to come and he does.

On the way, a woman comes close. She is desperate. She has a bleeding disorder which makes her unclean. She risks everything for if she is discovered, she can be stoned. She is supposed to stay away from people. But she is desperate and she believes. She touches Jesus.

She is immediately healed but Jesus feels it. She is found out. Instead of ridicule or stoning, though she finds healing for her body and heart. She is remembered forever for her faith.  Jesus says that is what healed her.

Jairus, is delayed though. And then word comes. His daughter is dead. Jesus says, "Just keep believing." And he does. Jesus goes on and raises the girl to life.

~How many times has it happened to me where it is desperate and I doubt? This story so much reinforces my deep need for a deeper, stronger faith. I want to have the faith that risks all. Risks life, limb, and reputation and banks it all on Jesus. Even when it looks hopeless, He will come through. I look at the things that I face and right now they are not near as difficult and yet I struggle to trust. I so often attempt to do it on my own or with superficial prayers for God to provide. I have to learn to trust. To just believe. In spite of circumstances and step out on faith.

That is what I learned. How about you?

Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment